14 August 2011

The Leader of the Universe.

I told earlier in this blog that I don't tell anybody what my religion is because I don't want to get into contests over whether or not I am 'saved' in the appropriate manner or if my morals are Bible-based, therefore 'true.'

But every now and then on Sunday I get the urge to go to church and pay my respects with my brothers and sisters..  The Catholics come in the morning at 10 and the Protestants, usually Baptists, show up about three in the afternoon.  And I usually hit the Baptists because they have the most seriously good fast piano music that seems to come out like rock n roll without the sex and drugs, and still stirring for all that.

For a full fifteen minutes before the service last Sunday, the minister played a continuous medley of songs that rivaled some professionals I've heard do the same thing.  Then we sang one or two.  I had goose bumps.  But from that point it all started going down like a bomb picking up speed as it lost altitude.  The country is in terrible shape. (True.)  This may be the last days. (Maybe..) Lots and lots and lots of people are going to hell because they didn't make an adult decision to designate Jesus Christ as their personal savior.  (I guess sex, drugs and rock n roll are OK after that, you just say 'I'm sorry' after the smoke clears.)

By the time we got to the part where the preacher's wife was sorrowful about a girl she knew who had been killed in an automobile accident, and who is undoubtedly experiencing the pleasures of eternal hell because she hadn't made an adult declaration for Jesus Christ, I was ready for a nice quiet read of Sigmund Freud and a good cry.  I had an English murder mystery instead and found great comfort in that.
 
                                                         

I have a new amulet that I am wearing around my neck.  (There used to be an Orthodox cross, a gift from a fireman friend in Russia.  And most people around here seem to think I am Orthodox although they're not sure what that is.)  Now I have a creation from China that looks like a round amoeba and is surely 99% lead and one percent pot metal to hold it together. Three dollars and niiney-nine!  Must be having a burnout on Christians.  I have to figure out what to tell people it represents.   Jesus blessing the Flying Saucers sounds good.  It's that big round thing in the picture, not the colorful stringy thing.  That is some true jewelry, a tourmaline tennis bracelet set in sterling silver.

Your religion, my religion, who flung poo!  I don't know what God is, energy, the Universe.  Or maybe we all just wink out when we die.  Hope not.  Can't tell from here.  I know what I call God and I have deeply felt and firm principles about how my God would like me to live this life.  Don't we all?  As much as I hate organized religions, I think Jesus Christ is just fine and led an exemplary life worthy of emulation.  It's his Fan Club who screws it all up.  Ta!

3 comments:

  1. I'm back! I just figured out how to get back in after i lost all my info! Love You!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's ok - I lost mine too awhile back when the old computer blew up. I found yo again by going to my blog and hitting you as a 'follower.'

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am trying to get in touch with John's friends to let them know that, sadly, he passed away on Friday. If you want to contact me, my email is JanetCobur@aol.com.

    ReplyDelete