14 November 2009

The Falling of the Light


It’s been a whole month since I wrote anything in here. I must have been experiencing hedonistic visions. Two weeks ago Daylight Savings Time slammed shut with a bang. I just wish they’d leave the fooking sun alone and quit changing the gears on the clocks. It also niggles because this whole thing started during World War I, presumably so that soldiers could have a couple more hours of daylight to butcher each other in the trenches of Ypres. Just when I’m getting going really solidly in my day, three in the afternoon comes and the warning bell sounds. In two more hours it’s dark and I wonder if there really was a day to begin with. Most of the leaves are in the gutters and the trees have holes in them. And the night wind is chill.



Of course, with most of the daily span less than opaque there are compensations to be had: reading mystery books; restoring old smoking pipes; cooking solid and unhealthy meals and eating, eating, eating. Tonight we had chicken tenders, slaw and sourdough bread. That was before the cookies. Watching movies on Feelyvision and sleeping just because I can are kinda’ fun in themselves.

I read on the Internet news that the Army psychiatrist who shot and killed all the soldiers at Fort Hood, Texas, in the name of religion, has stabilized, may no longer be able to walk and has intense pains in his hands. Sounds like karma to me. I am not an advocate of killing but I am a giant fan of law and order. Himself will presumably have plenty of time to think about the consequences of his personal jihad rolling up and down the halls of Leavenworth prison and learning about chronic hand pain.

Geez! If that’s all the news that’s fit to print, it’s a hell of a world, isn’t it? Ta!

No comments:

Post a Comment