08 November 2010

Three Pickup Truck Loads

I moved on Saturday October 2nd.  And on the 3rd.  And on the 4th.  And then a little on the following Wednesday and Thursday.  We were supposed to have nine people to help with this and it should have taken about 4 or 5 hours and three pickup truck loads.  However some were sick, some just forgot and we wound up with self (no good for anything but supervising) three old guys like me and a lady who had to leave at 3 the first day.  Sorry, two ladies.  Once I figured out the probable logistics, I went into an anxiety mode that lasted three days.  

On about the fourth of the month the landlord called to say that I was taking too long to become absent and he had pro-rated the days since the 2nd and I owed him $137.  I sent him  a letter about the time I paid full rent while he dallied about fixing a gutter on the back of the building, which caused rain to come into the bedroom and onto my head while I was sleeping.  I also told him that I couldn't afford any more of his pro-rates so he would have to remove anything I left behind.  And you can be damn sure I left a mess for him:  junk, boxes, a useless clothes dryer...about three pickup trucks worth.  And then I told him  what he could do with his pro-rate.  I haven't heard a word since.

He used to live in the apartment before I moved in and back at that time he was using drugs and beating his wife thoroughly a couple or three times a week.  He doesn't pick up anymore and the lady stuck with him.  Since I sent him the letter I haven't heard a word from him.  I didn't expect any rainbow of feelings about this moving business and I was pretty startled by it all.  I figured..you just move from one place to another and there it is.  I was scared and anxious during the move, lonely and sad for the first couple weeks here.  Now that I've been here a month I've been slowly feeling better and better and now pretty good.  When I return to the apartment about suppertime it feels like home.  Things are pretty normal now, I am almost arranged in here and, oops!, I'm late for the evening hen party with the 70-year-olds!  Ta!

No comments:

Post a Comment